Adjusting the axle-to-axle length of a compound bow affects how a bow performs and how it ‘feels’ when shooting. A shorter axle length means the bow will be lighter, more compact and will have a somewhat stiffer draw with a higher let-off. This can often result in faster arrow speeds with less energy expended while shooting. Longer axle lengths generally result in slower arrow speeds and movements that are less jerky and more controllable. It is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of axle-to-axle length in order to optimize shooting performance.
Table of Contents
What is Axle-to-Axle Length?
Axle-to-axle length is the distance between the grooves of the cams of a compound bow that houses the bowString. A compound bow’s energy is contained within the length of the cam grooves which are connected by the axle-to-axle length of the bow. This is the main factor in determining the draw weight and speed of the bow. By changing the length of either the cams or the axle-to-axle distance, the performance of the bow can be changed and optimized.
How to Adjust Axle-to-Axle Length
Adjusting the axle-to-axle length on a compound bow is relatively simple as long as you have the right tools and parts. It is always best to consult with an authorized bow technician if you are uncertain about how to make the adjustment.
The first thing to do is to measured the axle-to-axle length of your bow using a measuring tape. This will give you a baseline for making the adjustment. Next, you will need to make sure you have the right tools for the job. This includes an axle puller, set of wrenches and a high-grade silicone lube.
Once you have measured your bow and gathered the necessary tools, you will need to loosen the axle bolts of the bow’s cams. This is usually done with a set of wrenches. Then, use the axle puller to loosen the axle nuts. Once these are removed, you can adjust the axle-to-axle length of your bow.
When adjusting the axle-to-axle length, use the high-grade silicone lube to lubricate the new threads of the axle bolt. This will ensure a strong and secure connection. After the axle bolts have been tightened, re-tighten the axle nuts and ensure they are securely fastened. Once this has been done, you can now adjust the axle-to-axle length of your compound bow according to your preferences.
Pros and Cons of Adjusting Axle-to-Axle Length
- Balance: Adjusting the axle-to-axle length can help you to achieve better balance with your bow.
- Performance: Adjusting the length can optimize the performance of the bow and help you to get the best arrow speeds with the least effort.
- Control: Adjusting the axle-to-axle length can help you to gain more control during your shots.
- Weight: Shorter axle lengths can often result in lighter bows that can be less stable when shooting.
- Cost: To adjust the axle-to-axle length of your compound bow, you will need to make sure you have the right tools and parts, which can add to the cost of the adjustment.
- Time: Adjusting the axle-to-axle length of a compound bow can be time consuming and often requires a professional to do the job correctly.
Adjusting the axle-to-axle length of a compound bow can provide many benefits but, as with all adjustments, there are pros and cons that should be considered. While shorter axle lengths can provide faster arrow speeds and more compact bows, they can also be less stable when shooting. Longer axle lengths can provide more control and smoother shots, but can result in slower speeds. Consider your shooting needs before making the adjustment and you can ensure you get the best performance from your bow.
Ultimately, adjusting the axle-to-axle length of a compound bow is a simple but important process. Having the right tools and parts, as well as the knowledge of how to make the adjustment, can ensure you get the most out of your bow. With patience and understanding, you can optimize the performance of your bow and get the most accuracy and control when shooting.
- 38″ Axle To Axle Compound Bow
- Compound Bow 30 In Axle To Axle
- 35″ Axle To Axle Compound Bow
- Compound Bow Long Axle
- How To Adjust Draw Length On Bear Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust Draw Length On A Pse Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust The Draw On A Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust Draw Weight On A Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust Draw Length On A Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust The Poundage On A Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust Compound Bow Draw Length?
- How To Check Compound Bow Draw Weight?
- How To Adjust A Bear Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust Weight On Compound Bow?
- How To Adjust Draw Length On A Diamond Compound Bow?
Last update 2021-01-05. Price and product availability may change.