Drawing a compound bow requires patience and practice, but with the right technique an archer can quickly and accurately learn to draw a bow. This article outlines the necessary steps to mastering compound bow drawing.
Before attempting to draw a compound bow, be sure to have the necessary equipment:
- Compound Bow
- Arm guard
- Arrow rest
- Release Aid
Grasp the handle of the bow firmly with your dominant hand. (Be sure to use an archery glove or arm guard to protect from string slap). Next, wrap the middle and index fingers of your non dominant hand around the bowstring, just above the arrow nock. Place the knuckles of your thumb and index finger on the opposite side of the bowstring and insert the arrow. Tuck your elbow of the non dominant hand against your body.
Drawing the Bowstring
Using the muscle of your draw arm and the power of the bow, slowly draw the bowstring back, while keeping the bow arm extended and parallel with the shooting line. Be sure to create a smooth, even draw, rather than a jerky one. As the string is drawn, anchor in the same hand position for each shot.
Aiming and Releasing
Once at full draw, aim the arrow directly towards the target using the sight on the compound bow.
Release the arrow using a release aid. (Do not release from your fingers, as this can injure your hand.) This helps to eliminate the feeling of shooting a bow for the first time.
Finally, after releasing, lower the bow and hold the arrow until it hits the target. With a little practice, these steps will help any archer master proper technique for drawing and releasing a compound bow. With these tips, you’ll be able to confidently draw a bow and hit your target with ease.
- How To Draw Compound Bow?
- How To Properly Shoot A Compound Bow?
- How to Anchor Properly to achieve maximum accuracy with a compound bow: John Dudley of Nock On
- How To Draw Back A Compound Bow?
- How To Draw A Compound Bow?
- How To Shoot A Compound Bow?
- How To Draw A Compound Bow Correctly?
- How To Measure Draw Length For A Compound Bow?
- How To Determine Your Draw Length Compound Bow?
- LEARN ARCHERY: How to Properly Anchor with a Wrist Strap Release
- How to PROPERLY use and adjust your sight
- How To Determine Draw Length Compound Bow?
- How To Figure Your Draw Length For A Compound Bow?
- How to Properly Use a Wrist Sling
- How To Hold A Compound Bow?
Last update 2021-01-05. Price and product availability may change.